WITH CONSTRUCTION ESSENTIALLY COMPLETE, researchers are moving into the new home of the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment, a 129,000-square-foot complex dedicated to research and teaching in areas involving energy efficiency, sustainable sources of energy, and environmental protection and remediation.
Located adjacent to the School of Engineering and Applied Science’s “EQuad,” the building is organized around multiple gardens and two large towers. The building holds a classroom and teaching laboratories, office space, a lecture hall, conference rooms, and research labs, including “cleanrooms” that have ultra-low dust levels and shared-use labs that house some of the world’s most sophisticated imaging and analytical equipment.
Emily Carter, the Gerhard R. Andlinger Professor in Energy and the Environment and founding director of the center, described it as a “living laboratory, both as it was being built and upon occupancy.”
The Andlinger Center translates fundamental knowledge into practical solutions that enable sustainable energy production and the protection of the environment and global climate from energyrelated anthropogenic change. The center was founded in July 2008 through a gift from international business leader Gerhard R. Andlinger, Class of 1952.
–By John Sullivan